Info sent to Non-School Nottingham from Notts County Council EHE team. Central’s event, at least, in fact includes courses open to 13 year olds.
We have a number of home education open evenings coming up at Nottinghamshire colleges for 14-16 year old EHE students.
Vision West Nottinghamshire College Group EHE Event Vision Studio School, Chesterfield Road South, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire NG19 7BB Thursday 28th April 2016 at 6.00 – 7.30pm.
Central College Nottingham EHE Event Central College Nottingham, High Road, Chilwell, Beeston, Nottingham NG9 4AG Thursday 5th May 2016 at 6.00 – 7.00pm.
New College Nottingham EHE Event New College Nottingham City Campus, Adams Building, Stoney Street Nottingham NG1 1NG Wednesday 11th May 2016 at 5.00 – 6.30pm.
North Notts College EHE Event North Notts College, Carlton Road, Worksop Nottinghamshire S81 7HP Thursday 19th May 2016 at 6.00 – 7.30pm.
All of these groups or meetups are organised by or for home ed families. Some cost money, some are free.
- Skating once a month at the Nottingham rink, age range toddlers to adults, group discount.
- Climbing once a month at the climbing centre (the old Noel Street baths), separate groups for teens and younger ones.
- Maths group.
- Sign language class (fortnightly).
- Aikido, Tuesdays and Thursdays, run by Shudokan Black Belt Academy.
- GCSE and NVQ courses for age 14 to 16 run by Central College.
- History Project, based around a WW1-era document at St Stephen’s Church in Hyson Green. Research, art, presentations etc. Participation is free because supported by Heritage Lottery fund.
- Arts Award dance group run by Moving Together.
- Gymnastics on Tuesday afternoons, run by Nottingham City Gymnastics Club.
- Pottery classes at Hands On Pottery. Potters’ wheel & variety of other skills, ages 5 to adult.
- Home Ed Debating Society, age 12+. “We play games, debate topical (and not so topical) issues and discuss famous speeches. The atmosphere is friendly, respectful and fun.”
- Pushchair-friendly walks once or twice a month at various parks round the area, inc Wollaton Park, Shipley Country Park, Attenborough Nature Reserve etc. Children’s age typically 0 to 10. Slowish pace, with time for enjoying chat and puddle-splashing!
- Longer-distance walks once a month for the older age group. “Hiking off road, up hill and down dale, 3 to 4 hours plus, taking packed lunches/hot flasks etc, out whatever the weather.”
- East Midlands Christian Home Educators’ Group (a.k.a. Fun Club). Activities, speakers, workshops, for 3-4 years up to about 13.
- “Forest School” – time in woodland, learning about nature, roasting marshmallows etc.
- Over 150 people have already booked to go to the panto together at Christmas.
- Talk of setting up a new Spanish group for beginners…
- Here’s an extra page for info about Mansfield, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & nearby places.
Things can change, so this is only a snapshot, Autumn 2015! For the latest, get onto the East Midlands Home Education email list.
P.S. Non-school families do like to stay home sometimes too! We might be playing, cooking, coding, making music, studying for an exam or for the enjoyment of it, watching something cool on TV or the net, or just relaxing with a book.